Thursday, February 09, 2012

The Climb

The John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge runs across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, Ohio to Covington, Kentucky. It was the longest bridge when it was built in 1855, at 1057 feet.

My picture of the bridge above isn't that great, I took it while leaving a Cincinnati Bengals football game after a few beers -I wasn't driving.  So why am I writing about this bridge? Well, the camera club I'm in, Misfits With Cameras, had a drawing and I was picked to be in the next group to climb to the top of the bridge! So exciting! The only problem is....I am terrified of heights! The photos the first group up took were absolutely beautiful. Pictures of the Cincinnati skyline, different aspects from and of the bridge. I was so envious!

There are steps that go up along the side of the bridge to the top of the stone part. They are grated steps so you can see thru them.  Then I was told that there is a railing that you either have to climb thru or climb over. I'm not climbing over anything up there, by that time we will be at the top! Hence my current diet. My biggest fear, besides falling to my death, is getting half way up.....and freezing. If the Cincinnati Fire Department has to rescue me I'll be so embarrassed. So now it's time to conquer my fear of heights.  I've got until May. What did I get myself into ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment